Nicklas Lidstrom to Retire
It’s probably not fashionable to say in Chicago, but Nicklas Lidstrom is one of my all time favorite hockey players. The joke about him being the “Perfect Human” isn’t that far-fetched. Easily the greatest defenseman of this era, although it’s hard to place Lidstrom and his 20-plus years in any particular era. I literally can’t remember the NHL without Lidstrom as he began his professional career when I was just 5 years-old. His resume is basically unmatched. Seven Norris Trophies, four Stanley Cups, an Olympic Gold Medal, and a Conn Smythe Trophy. However, those things barely begin to tell the whole story. Lidstrom was like a ghost on the ice. Seemingly appearing out of nowhere to get in a passing lane or take the puck off of an attacking winger. The game was quiet when Lidstrom was on the ice. He seldom delivered a big body check, and NEVER received one. He played the game with an elegance and a vision that was his alone. He was in many ways the Wayne Gretzky of defensemen. Class, humility, grace, and intellect describe Lidstrom, but don’t fully define him. It’s hard to accurately describe a ghost. I will certainly miss watching #5. The NHL is a little bit weaker as a league today because of his retirement.
Additional Note: Now watch the Red Wings go and throw all this extra money at Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, and Zach Parise. Not out of the question that they get two of the three. Don’t worry though Hawks fans, we have Oduya and Montador….
Follow the Chief @WindyCitiSports
- European Soccer Highlights brought to you by LEGOS
- West Virginia Women’s Basketball player quits hoops to pursue modeling career
- Bigger over-reaction: Federer or guy from the comment section, who ya got?
- Two FL teens caught up in the high stakes crime racket of stolen puppy distribution
- Bieber to be protected by 6,000 cops at Mexico City concert
- When they say “don’t tap on the glass”…DONT TAP ON THE GLASS!!!
- People in Seattle still a little salty about the Sonics moving to OKC
- REMIX!!!! Mister Rogers about to go quadruple platinum
- Irish Soccer Fans drive 8 hours to taunt the English team as they arrived at their hotel for Euro 2012
- LOCK OF THE CENTURY: Heat vs Celtics Game 6