Larry Bird calls his Pacers “S-O-F-T”
(Indy Star)–That was the case about two hours after the Pacers suffered the worst playoff loss in franchise history – 115-83 – in Game 5 against the Miami Heat. “I can’t believe my team went soft,” Bird said on the phone. “S-O-F-T. I’m disappointed. I never thought it would happen.” When asked to elaborate on those comments, an obviously frustrated Bird said, “That’s all I have to say.” Those are the strongest words I’ve ever heard Bird say about his team – good or bad – in my seven-plus years of covering the Pacers. Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted, “you knew Larry Bird wasn’t going to sit this one out.” Bird, who played in 164 playoff games during his Hall of Fame career with the Boston Celtics, sat in his seat at American Airlines Arena fuming as he watched what was once a confident Pacers team early in series get softer as each second went off the clock against the Heat on Tuesday.
Larry Bird calling his team out big time, and he is right…the Pacers did go soft last night. I mean yeah, the Pacers got absolutely Donaghy’d into oblivion. Pacers were getting fouls called on them for violating the personal space of Lebron and Wade and the flagrant foul thing was ridiculous. Hansbrough’s flagrant on Wade was a play on the ball. Legit could have just been called a block. No way in hell was that a flagrant 1. Like 2 mins later Haslem tries to decapitate Hanbrough and some how it was viewed at the level as Hansbrough’s foul on Wade. Haslem’s move was straight out of Mortal Combat. It was as Flagrant 2 as it gets. Kind of set the tone for the rest of the game. It was the Heat and their refs against the Pacers. The Pacers just flat mailed it in. I don’t care what is stacked against you. You can’t get dunked on 11 times in a playoff game. So Larry Legend absolutely nailed it when he called his team soft. It’s not the first time he has done this…
The only difference is that Larry Bird isn’t walking through that door, Kevin Mchale isn’t walking through that door, and Robert Parish isn’t walking through that door. Hopefully the Pacers make the Heat stand and fight. Extend this thing out to a Game 7 to give Bird’s former team a little head start in the Conference Finals. #CelticsForAmerica
Follow the Chief @WindyCitiSports
- European Soccer Highlights brought to you by LEGOS
- West Virginia Women’s Basketball player quits hoops to pursue modeling career
- Bigger over-reaction: Federer or guy from the comment section, who ya got?
- Two FL teens caught up in the high stakes crime racket of stolen puppy distribution
- Bieber to be protected by 6,000 cops at Mexico City concert
- When they say “don’t tap on the glass”…DONT TAP ON THE GLASS!!!
- People in Seattle still a little salty about the Sonics moving to OKC
- REMIX!!!! Mister Rogers about to go quadruple platinum
- Irish Soccer Fans drive 8 hours to taunt the English team as they arrived at their hotel for Euro 2012
- LOCK OF THE CENTURY: Heat vs Celtics Game 6