US Postal Service now free to mail booze
(Newser)–The Senate has an idea to help save the Postal Service: Let people mail alcohol. After all, FedEx and UPS carry the stuff all the time. But a law from 1909—established 10 years before Prohibition came into effect—bars the Postal Service from shipping “all spirituous, vinous, malted, fermented, or other intoxicating liquors of any kind.” Dumping the law, as new Senate-passed legislation would do, could be particularly helpful to the USPS in these days of online shopping, Timereports. The service would have to be sure to avoid underage buyers; that could be achieved by requiring a signature at delivery, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe says. Meanwhile, it would have to carefully follow state booze shipping laws. Case in point: Only 14 states accept wine from out-of-state retailers. Donahoe, notes Time, is fully in favor of the idea, and has an idea of his own: wine boxes made to specifically house two, four, or six bottles that ship anywhere in the US for a flat rate.
No bullshit, this makes me feel good about America. Like this is the kind of stupid government red-tape that just slows the country down. Getting rid of this law makes so much sense its not even funny. I almost want to send myself a bottle of champagne to celebrate. It’s a small step, but if Congress can start getting out of the way then America can start to grow again. So let’s toast to America. SING IT LEE!!!
Follow the Chief @WindyCitiSports
- European Soccer Highlights brought to you by LEGOS
- West Virginia Women’s Basketball player quits hoops to pursue modeling career
- Bigger over-reaction: Federer or guy from the comment section, who ya got?
- Two FL teens caught up in the high stakes crime racket of stolen puppy distribution
- Bieber to be protected by 6,000 cops at Mexico City concert
- When they say “don’t tap on the glass”…DONT TAP ON THE GLASS!!!
- People in Seattle still a little salty about the Sonics moving to OKC
- REMIX!!!! Mister Rogers about to go quadruple platinum
- Irish Soccer Fans drive 8 hours to taunt the English team as they arrived at their hotel for Euro 2012
- LOCK OF THE CENTURY: Heat vs Celtics Game 6