Theo Epstein is NOT coming to the Cubs
There is all kinds of chatter from Chicago media and on twitter about how Theo Epstein is coming to Chicago to save the Cubs, break curses, fix the El, and clean the Chicago River…WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM?!!? This sounds like Lebron, Wade, and Bosh coming to the Bulls all over again. Only maybe slightly more ridiculous. Let’s take a quick look at the facts.
- Epstein is from Brookline, Massachusetts
- Epstein grew up dreaming about being the GM of his favorite team, the Boston Red Sox
- Epstein married a Boston girl in 2007 and are raising a young family(happy wife=happy life)
- Epstein’s family is in Boston
- Epstein has autonomy over baseball decisions in Boston
- Epstein has an almost unlimited budget for baseball operations
- Epstein’s foundation is based in Boston
- Epstein has a reportedly great working relationship with Red Sox majority owner John Henry
Theo Epstein has literally ZERO reasons to leave Boston. The Cubs would be wise to snatch up Theo’s #2 baseball man in Boston, but people need to stop wasting their breath by talking about Theo Epstein leaving Boston. The Red Sox would match any offer the Ricketts would give Theo. This is a complete pipe dream if I ever saw one.
Follow me @windycitisports