Public Health Advocacy Institute says MJ “flu game” ad sends dangerous message…wait, what?
Many people who have a high fever can barely watch basketball, let alone play it at a championship level. So an ad that implies Michael Jordan’s gulping of Gatorade helped him beat the flu in a 1997 NBA Finals game has one watchdog group calling foul. The Public Health Advocacy Institute has urged the Federal Trade Commission to yank the ad because it encourages teen athletes to play through a dangerous condition when they should be home in bed. In a letter reported by USA Today, the institute told the FTC: “The Jordan Ad openly promotes engaging in vigorous physical activity while suffering from a very high fever, in Jordan’s case 103 degrees. It is a generally recognized safety principle that teens and even professional athletes suffering from a severe fever and flu-like symptoms should not engage in vigorous physical activity.” The institute elaborated on its website: “The FTC should order PepsiCo to engage in corrective advertising that advises teens to not engage in physical activity when they have the flu or are suffering from a fever, describes the dangers of competing in sports when ill, and clearly states that Gatorade is not intended to be used to enhance the athletic performance of teens who are suffering from the flu or a fever.”
Seriously…what country am I living in? Like I just don’t know how organizations like the Public Health Advocacy Institute even exist in real life. “The Jordan Ad openly promotes engaging in vigorous physical activity while suffering from a very high fever, in Jordan’s case 103 degrees. It is a generally recognized safety principle that teens and even professional athletes suffering from a severe fever and flu-like symptoms should not engage in vigorous physical activity.”…umm yeah no shit YOU shouldn’t engage in vigorous physical activity if you have a temperature of 103 degrees. Hell you shouldn’t do anything when you are that sick. This is one of the reasons why Jordan is a hero. He isn’t normal. Jordan’s courage is something to be admired. Win from within is a metaphor. This is what these institutes who are sponsored by the government don’t get. Not everyone can be Jordan. Jordan should be celebrated, but they want to tear the elites down and make everyone the same because they know what is best for everyone. It’s deplorable. If we stop celebrating greatest then we are left with nothing but losers. At this rate we might as well hand the MVP award to a guy who hasn’t won a damn thing in his life and actively hides from the spotlight when the game is on the line. Who is John Galt?
Follow the Chief
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- LAUNCH CITY BITCH!!! New Site up and running. GO THERE
- European Soccer Highlights brought to you by LEGOS
- West Virginia Women’s Basketball player quits hoops to pursue modeling career
- Bigger over-reaction: Federer or guy from the comment section, who ya got?
- Two FL teens caught up in the high stakes crime racket of stolen puppy distribution
- Bieber to be protected by 6,000 cops at Mexico City concert
- When they say “don’t tap on the glass”…DONT TAP ON THE GLASS!!!
- People in Seattle still a little salty about the Sonics moving to OKC
- REMIX!!!! Mister Rogers about to go quadruple platinum
- Irish Soccer Fans drive 8 hours to taunt the English team as they arrived at their hotel for Euro 2012