NCAA going soft on violations. Booster can now provide cream cheese for bagels
(Yahoo Sports)–Hoping to correct one of the NCAA rulebook’s great injustices, the Big East has proposed a rule change that could go into effect as soon as next August. No, the conference isn’t pushing for more consistent penalties for programs guilty of major violations or a later early entry decision date for potential NBA draft prospects. The Big East simply wants to ensure its student-athletes no longer have to endure post-workout dry mouth as a result of eating complimentary bagels with no spread. Proposal No. 2011-78 would permit institutions to offer spreads such as “butter, peanut butter, jelly and cream cheese” with bagels they already may provide to student-athletes at any time. It’s by far the most inane of the 91 potential rule changes the NCAA legislative council will have to consider next January. Believe it or not, current NCAA legislation enacted in 2009 only allows schools to provide bagels, fruits and nuts to student-athletes, which means that a complimentary butter or jam packet would be a minor violation. Schools couldn’t provide athletes any food except energy bars prior to that rule change.
Somebody needs to give the NCAA a copy of “If You Give A Mouse A Cookie” immediately. With all the controversy surrounding college athletics and improper benefits, this is no time to start legalizing more perks for scholarship athletes. I think its fair to assume that if you give an athlete cream cheese, next he’s going to want a pizza bagel, and if you give an athlete a pizza bagel…he’s going to want sex parties on a yacht. You have to draw the line somewhere NCAA.
follow me @windycitisports
- European Soccer Highlights brought to you by LEGOS
- West Virginia Women’s Basketball player quits hoops to pursue modeling career
- Bigger over-reaction: Federer or guy from the comment section, who ya got?
- Two FL teens caught up in the high stakes crime racket of stolen puppy distribution
- Bieber to be protected by 6,000 cops at Mexico City concert
- When they say “don’t tap on the glass”…DONT TAP ON THE GLASS!!!
- People in Seattle still a little salty about the Sonics moving to OKC
- REMIX!!!! Mister Rogers about to go quadruple platinum
- Irish Soccer Fans drive 8 hours to taunt the English team as they arrived at their hotel for Euro 2012
- LOCK OF THE CENTURY: Heat vs Celtics Game 6